Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Mac OS Wish List

I've gotten so many emails from folks about my iOS ideas that I figured I'd share a few of my Mac ones. I spend more time on my mobile devices so this list is smaller. So small that one article at this point will probably be enough. And really most of this is about apps not the OS itself. 



  1. Better compatibility with iOS. Especially iOS apps like iPhoto, the iWork trio. I talked about this at length already so I won't bore folks with a repeat.  
  2. New face for the iWork apps. Those floating pop ups drive me nuts. Seriously nuts. Especially after iPhoto was revamped. I love the sliding drawer system that iPhoto 11 uses. Put all those inspectors in that kind of system and I will be less in need of medication. 
  3. Plug in support for the consumer apps. I talked about this with the iOS apps and I think it applies on the computer as well. We get a tad bit with extensions in Safari but I'd like to see more, particularly in the iLife and iWork trios. Things like filters and brushes in iPhoto, more effects etc in iMovie. Allow those of us that need a tad more kick than the consumer apps have but not as much as the pro level to split the difference. Rather like the whole Express series somewhat did, but with more user control. One such plug in that many could still find useful would be to return the iDVD system to iMovie. Perhaps not the fancy backgrounds but at least to be able to burn a 'movie' dvd if one is still into that. 
  4. Allow us to integrate folders better in Mail. Perhaps add some options for using the same controls as iOS (for those of us with that nifty trackpad) And bring back RSS. At least as a Mail plug in. I know it's old school but it's useful school for many. 
  5. Twitter in Mail or Messages (I say Messages myself). 
  6. Bring back some of the lost apps and features like Shake and iWeb. I loved Shake and was totally bummed when it died. A few of the features made it into FCP and Motion but not all of them. And a revamped iWeb with way cleaner code and compatibility with Tumblr, Blogger etc to me would be total yum.
  7. Speaking of social stuff, just more integration for those of us that use that stuff. 
And the biggie on my list is iTunes. It's gotten so big that it's really too big. Something needs to be done. I can't make up my mind what, particularly when you consider that there's a Window's version as well. 

At the beginning of the year I talked about my wishes for the iTunes store but not the software. I think iTunes 11 is getting closer to the right idea with its integration of purchased lists and local stuff. Add into that anything from shared libraries so it's one seamless view (same in the iOS version) and I would be even happier. 

But what about the rest. I'm not sure if this would translate over to Windows but I'm going to be snobby and focus just on the Mac and what I think would be a great way to handle the iTunes software issue. 

I would break it up. Something like:

  1. Move the stores either to their own app or into the Mac App Store app. 
  2. Integrate the whole DVD player into an Player app that could also handle codecs/plug ins to support basically anything, including perhaps those Blu-ray disks the geeks are still screaming about. 
  3. Create a Media Browser/Control app for organizing all the bits. And make it easy to jump from Player to this app. Add it to, or at least allow a plug in that makes it NAS friendly so even if Player is off, the media can be seen by Apple TVs etc. 
  4. Perhaps even a Mac version of Podcasts, iTunes U and yes iBooks
  5. Have devices mount on the desktop with import/syncing controls accessible by selecting the item. One could then pick what they want to add/delete (because it communicates with the Control app) and even if they want to import photos/videos and using which program (iphoto, aperture, image capture or even via plug in perhaps Lightroom) and it's all done. No need to launch anything. For the importing of photos to something like iphoto, perhaps it could be like the whole 'add automatically' from iTunes where you pick if you want it to launch iphoto or just hold until the next time you open it yourself. That bit could perhaps also work with 3rd party cameras. And even separate controls for photo and video. So I could, for example, pick that my photos will go to iPhoto (launch later) but my videos go to iMovie (launch when import complete). Albums could be synced etc. 

Toss in a slew of stability improvements and I'm good. Thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. "Integrate the whole DVD player into an Player app that could also handle codecs/plug ins to support basically anything, including perhaps those Blu-ray disks the geeks are still screaming about.
    Create a Media Browser/Control app for organizing all the bits. And make it easy to jump from Player to this app. Add it to, or at least allow a plug in that makes it NAS friendly so even if Player is off, the media can be seen by Apple TVs etc.
    Perhaps even a Mac version of Podcasts, iTunes U and yes iBooks"



    it's called VLC

    ReplyDelete